Monday, July 26, 2010

Red Velvet Cheesecake


Until I started dating my husband about 4 years ago,  I had no idea what red velvet cake was. I've never seen it in stores. He said that it's his most favorite cake in the world! So finally, I found one at one supermarket but he said it's still not the same taste like the way he's had it in the Midwest or the South. Fast forward to the final weeks of planning our wedding, we decided on having red velvet as our wedding cake. We found a good baker in San Leandro. I'm still not a fan of it. I think that it's too sweet especially when they top it with the cream cheese on top or sometimes with butter cream. I told my husband that one day, I'll try to make it for him.

Fast forward to 2010, I see red velvet on everything!! CAKE, CUPCAKE, ICE CREAM, COFFEE, ETC! It's like a war of red velvet! 2 weeks ago, the Gelato place near our house had red velvet gelato too! I didn't taste it but I bought it for my husband and he approved! Then I was reading one of the magazine that we brought back from Atlanta family reunion and I saw a recipe for a red velvet cheesecake. I love cheesecake and the recipe is simple enough for me to challenge my self to make it for my husband's birthday today!

You must try this recipe because it is DIVINE!!

Ingredients:

2 packages (8 ounces each) of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate morsels, melted
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1 prepared chocolate crumb crust

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, beating on low speed just until blended. Transfer one cup of batter to a medium bowl; stir in melted chocolate and food coloring. Pour into prepared crust. Top with remaining plain cheesecake batter. Bake until center is almost set, about 40 to 50 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. Cover; refrigerate at least 3 hours. To serve, drizzle with your favorite fruit or chocolate topping. ENJOY!

No comments: