Monday, January 24, 2011

Sweet Potato Oatmeal Cookies



As I mentioned before in this blog, I don't have a sweet tooth but my husband and my kids are a big fan of anything baked sweets! I have been experimenting a lot lately with all kinds of ingredients to come up with a recipe that I can also enjoy. One night, my son asked me if I can bake some cookies for a change instead of a cake. My daughter arrived a few hours later and I asked her what kind of cookies she prefers. Her response was a question! "Have you ever heard of cookies with sweet potatoes?" My son heard that and said "EWWW! I hate sweet potatoes! Please just bake chocolate chip cookies." Then my husband made his own suggestion. He requested oatmeal cookies.

After a few minutes of listening to their request, I decided to search online and found exactly what they all want in one cookie! I showed them the recipe but they did not like the idea of combining the 3 main ingredients into one cookie. Well, I did not want to take a chance of wasting some of my ingredients and did not feel like making a trip to the store so I decided to make 2 types of cookies to please everyone. The classic chocolate chip and sweet potato oatmeal. I took some of the information from the recipe I found and made some substitution of the spices. I  used allspice instead of ground cardamom and I added more ground cinnamon in place of nutmeg. I also omitted the chocolate chips and nuts but I doubled the amount of pureed sweet potato. I was quite surprise on the outcome of the sweet potato oatmeal concoction. The cookies are very moist! It's like a cake cookie. This is one cookie I can truly enjoy with the family. Try the recipe for yourself!

Ingredients and Preparation:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
 3/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

Peel, cut in half and boil 2 large sweet potato. When they are soft enough to mash, take them out of the boiling water and mash in a bowl. Set aside and let cool.

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars until fully incorporated. Beat in the egg, followed by the sweet potato puree and vanilla extract. Working by hand or a large flat spatula, stir in the flour mixture, then mix in the oats thoroughly.

Drop tablespoonfuls of the dough onto the baking sheet with parchment sheet. Bake for 15-18  min, until cookies are set. Let cool on sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve immediately  or store in an airtight container to enjoy later.

No comments: