Saturday, July 9, 2011

Nutella Banana Bread



In our house we always have fruits. Bananas are always on the grocery list and I usually just buy enough to last a week. Somehow, there's one week that we had a few left over and of course, they became brown and very ripe. I did not want to waste them so I decided to make a banana bread. I have never made this type of bread before so I thought I should find a simple recipe so that I don't disappoint myself. I also thought on making it different than the classic banana nut bread.




I found a few classic recipe online but since I wanted something different, I continued the search and found a recipe and just revised it a little bit. I started checking out what I had in my pantry and found raw peanuts, raw cashews and Nutella. I decided to omit the nuts and just used the Nutella jam. What came out of the oven were 3 loaves of very moist heavenly tasting melt in your mouth bread!! 


Ingredients:


3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs at room temperature
2 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups coarsely mashed very ripe bananas (about 5 large)
3/4 cup Nutella
1/4 cup greek style yogurt or regular plain yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla


Preparation:


This recipe actually makes about 3 loaves


- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter 2 (9- by 5- by 3-inch) metal loaf pans, then dust with flour, knocking out excess.  
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a bowl.
- Beat together eggs and sugar in bowl of electric mixer with a whisk attachment at medium-high speed until very thick and pale, and the mixture forms a ribbon when beater is lifted, about 10 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add oil in a slow stream, mixing, then mix in bananas, yogurt, Nutella, and vanilla. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in flour mixture
- Divide batter between loaf pans to about 2/3 full, spreading evenly, and bake in the lower third of the oven until golden brown and a wooden pick or skewer comes out clean, about 1 hour.  Start checking for doneness at about 45 minutes.
- Cool loaves in pans on a rack 10 minutes, then turn out onto rack. Turn loaves right side up and cool completely.
- Sprinkle powder sugar on top and enjoy!

No comments: