Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fried Banana Triangles


Ever had Filipino banana lumpias? They are the same as banana spring rolls or Kluay Kaek that they serve at Thai restaurants on their dessert menu and usually topped with Coconut Ice Cream. Filipinos call them "Turon".  They are also a popular dessert item on PF Chang's menu.


The bananas used for this fried dessert are the Saba. They have to be ripe and firm or mushy to enjoy their sweetness.  I found out that Vietnamese also makes the same dessert but they actually mash the bananas before rolling them in the wrapper and fry. My daughter and I had some at Eggroll King in San Jose. I decided to make them myself. I bought 3 big Saba and let them ripen for a week in the kitchen counter.


To make it my own recipe, I combined the three culture in the eggroll. I mashed the bananas, added brown sugar and cinnamon and served it with chocolate syrup and confectioners sugar.


Ingredients:


3 large ripe Saba
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup vegetable oil
10 pieces Lumpia wrapper or Spring Roll wrapper (cut in half)
Hershey Chocolate Syrup
Confectioners Sugar
1 Egg or 1 cup of warm water for sealing


Preparation:


Mash thoroughly the ripe bananas. Add the cinnamon and sugar and mix well. Heat up a large frying pan with oil in medium heat. Scoop a full tablespoon of the mashed bananas on one end of the wrapper. fold as a triangle and seal with warm water or egg wash.  Fry each side until golden brown and drain on a plate with paper towel to get rid of excess oil.  Serve warm and drizzle with chocolate syrup and confectioners sugar. Enjoy with ice cream!


No comments: