Monday, October 17, 2011

Roasted Potato and Apple Medley

I was thinking what to cook for dinner tonight and I immediately thought of the bag of potatoes I bought last week. I really did not want to make the usual bake potato or breakfast style potato so I searched for a new recipe online. My favorite website of bloggers always inspire me to challenge myself and prepare a dish that looks and taste good! I found this recipe which was also adapted from Martha Stewart Recipe. I made it my own and use some of the fresh herbs from my garden and a Penzey Tuscan Sunset seasoning that I just bought over the weekend. This is a good side dish with your favorite grilled meat. I paired it with pan grilled breast of chicken that were marinated for a few hours.


Ingredients:

3 medium size Russet potatoes
3 medium size red apples
4 tablespoons butter (melted)
3 tables spoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Penzey Tuscan Sunset seasoning (or your choice of seasoning)
2 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
sea salt and black pepper for taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine oil and melted butter. Brush the bottom of a baking dish with some of the mixture. 


Peel and slice the potatoes and apples very thin crosswise with a sharp knife or mandoline.


Arrange the potato and apple slices vertically in the baking dish, alternating the colors randomly. Brush the remaining butter mixture on top of the dish and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste.

Bake for 1 1/4 hour. Remove from oven and add chopped fresh basil or your favorite herb such as thyme or rosemary and return to oven. Bake for another 25-30 minutes until the dishes reaches your desired brownness.

No comments: