Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Jack and Cheddar Cheese Biscuits


One night, I was craving the cheese biscuits that they serve at Red Lobster Restaurants. My husband and my kids love those too. I have never made biscuits from scratch before this because its just easy to bake the store bought Pillsbury brand. I decided why not challenge myself again and try and make them myself! I checked out my old country recipe books and also some recipes online to find the easiest and less ingredients that I can try out with the ingredients I already have in my pantry. I found this easy recipe and added my favorite herb instead of using dill which I am not a fan of. I also used 2 types of cheese to make them cheesier! These biscuits turned out savory, soft and you can't have just one! Try making them tonight for your family.

JACK AND CHEDDAR CHEESE BISCUITS WITH ROSEMARY



Ingredients:

- 2 cups all-purpose flour

- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup jack cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoon fresh or dried rosemary, finely chopped


Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Blend the cold butter into the dry ingredients. Use your hands to mix and blend until the mixture has pea size chunks of butter left. It will be crumbly and that is a good thing. You want to see little pieces of butter. Don’t over blend.

Pour in the buttermilk and stir with a wooden spoon. Gently mix, just until the ingredients are moist. 
Gently stir in the cheese and rosemary. Don’t over mix.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With a spoon, scoop the biscuits onto the baking sheet. Use about 3 Tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes. You want them to be golden brown on top and on the bottoms.

Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with butter. 

No comments: