Friday, July 15, 2011

Lemon Basil Basmati Rice



I ran out of Jasmine rice so I took out my bag of Basmati rice (emergency stash) to cook for dinner tonight. I think that basmati rice is better when its cooked with herbs and spices. I do not like it plain unless I am eating it with a dish that has creamy gravy like Butter Chicken.


I decided to do my usual homework and searched online for a simple but good recipe. Most recipe I came across have nuts, raisins, bacon or lentils. I don't have any of those ingredients handy so I searched again until I found this recipe by Vittles and Bits. She mentioned her addiction to this rice and I think I will be addicted to making it all the time. It is really heavenly and in my own words...YUMMYLICIOUS! I did tweak it a little bit to make it my own recipe. I was so impressed with the result, I had to step away from the kitchen otherwise, dinner will be gone before it's served to my family!


Ingredients: (Serves 4)
3 cups of basmati rice (washed and drained)
1 can of coconut milk
1 stick of butter
2 medium size yellow onions (diced)
6 cloves of garlic (minced)
1/2 cup fresh basil (minced)
1 whole fresh lemon juice
2 tbs lemon rinds
1 tbs ground cayenne pepper
4 cups of water
salt to taste


Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Place the very well-drained rice in a 3 quarts baking dish or pan.
Heat the oil in a nonstick or heavy saucepan. Add the garlic and sauté over medium heat until they are medium brown but not burn.  Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes until they are soft. Add all the remaining ingredients, except the rice and basil and bring to a boil.
Stir the mixture into the rice, being sure to scrape up and include all the goodies. Seal tightly with foil or lid and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork before serving, then fold in the basil.




No comments: