Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fresh Fruit Bruschetta


We were invited to attend a BBQ party today and the host asked that we bring a side dish or an appetizer. I knew about this a few weeks ago and I still couldn't make up my mind on what to bring and finally told my husband that I will just prepare a tomato salad or bruschetta. On our way to church today, I have decided that I will just make Bruschetta since I wasn't able to go to the Farmer's market and get the heirloom tomatoes I needed for the tomato salad. I thought it'll be nice to make something different than typical bruschetta (tomato/basil). I used fruit instead and they came out very tasty! Try making them for your next party.

Ingredients:

1 loaf of french bread (2-3 days old) or regular baguette (sliced thinly)
1 cup of red grapes (sliced in halves)
1 cup of blueberries
1/2 cup finely diced cucumber
10 fresh mint leaves (minced)
1 large nectarine (seeded and chopped in tiny pieces)
1/2 cup fig jam (or any fruit jam)
1 block of cream cheese

Preparation:

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Arrange the thinly sliced bread/baguettes on a flat cookie sheet and bake until slightly brown. Remove from oven and cool.

Heat the jam in a small pot and liquify in low heat then cool for about 5 minutes. 



















Mix the cream cheese and half of the mint. Spread the cream cheese on each sliced bread/baguette carefully with a butter knife

Mix the fruits and cucumber in a big bowl with the other half of mint. Pour the cooled liquid jam in the fruit bowl and mix thoroughly.
Top a spoonful of the fruit mix on each bread/baguette. ENJOY!

No comments: