Sunday, March 28, 2010

Asian Ground Beef on Lettuce Boat


It's one of those nights again when I have no clue what to cook! I have so many spices I would like to use and so many recipe in my head I would like to try. I checked my freezer to see what meat I have and I decided to take out the ground beef. I looked online to get an idea on how to prepare my meat of choice for dinner. I checked out my favorite site for recipes - Foodgawker. I came across Asian Beef Lettuce Wrap recipe. I love lettuce wraps!! This recipe has ground beef which made me try it but I also made a few substitution to make it my own.


Ingredients:

1 head romaine lettuce and cut off about 3 inches from the bottom
2 lbs lean ground beef
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
4 tablespoon sesame oil
1 large onion diced
4 cloves fresh garlic minced
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon chile sauce (optional)
1 cup diced cauliflower (or 1 cup of diced water chestnut)
1/2 cup of yellow/red/orange baby sweet peppers chopped

Rinse whole lettuce leaves and pat dry, being careful not to tear them. Set aside.


In a large skillet over high heat, brown the garlic and onion with 2 tablespoon sesame oil. Add the ground beef, stir with the garlic and onion and brown thoroughly then reduce the heat to medium. Add the basil and cook for about 2 minutes or until its wilted. Drain any excessive fat of oil if necessary. Stirring frequently, add the remaining sesame oil, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar and chile sauce. Add the cauliflower, stir, cover and cook for about 5 minutes in medium heat.


Arrange romaine lettuce on a plate and pile mixture on it. Serve each person with 4 pieces of lettuce and let them spoon portions of the meat into the leaf. Eat them like a taco and enjoy!




No comments: