Thursday, October 13, 2011

Adobong Balut (Duck Egg)

Balut.....Baluuuut....Baaaaluuuuut.... Ah, yeah! Thats the sound of vendors selling this delicacy. If you're Filipino and grew up in the Philippines, you've heard them and may have eaten balut at least once. If not, maybe you've heard about it and felt disgusted by the sound of it. You may even have seen it on the tv reality show Fear Factor. Even Andrew Zimmern, a Food Writer and TV Personality guy enjoyed it! Well, I can tell you that I am not afraid to eat this delicacy because it's tastier than a regular hard boiled egg and its high on protein.




The inside of the balut with the juice - the best part that you suck/slurp while peeling!

Balut is a boiled fertilized duck egg with a 9 – 14 day old embryo inside. It is commonly sold as a streetfood in the Philippines during night time by a vendor roaming the streets and carrying a basket of full of warm baluts.

I finally bought a couple of raw baluts to cook because I have been craving them for sometime now and trying to dare my husband to try it sometime. Since halloween is coming up, I thought this is a good dish to serve your guests because it looks like something gross that you may only see in movies or a tv show. I did not take a photo of the embryo because I usually don't eat that part anyway and I myself get disgusted by looking at it! The photos I took below will suffice to give you the best view of the inside.




But if you like Filipino Chicken Adobo, then try this and then you can say that you've had it.....at least, the sauce and juice from the balut!

Ingredients:

2-3 Balut, boiled and peeled

2 tbsp cooking oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 yellow onion minced
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup vinegar
½ tsp sugar
3 pcs bay leaf
1/2 tsp peppercorns

Directions:
Sauté garlic in cooking oil until brown then add onions and caramelized
Add Balut and fry for a few seconds
Pour soy sauce and vinegar
Bring to a boil without stirring
Simmer for a few seconds
Add bay leaf, sugar and peppercorns
Simmer for about 5 minutes and its done

No comments: