Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Baby Scallops and Brussel Sprouts w/ Black Bean Sauce


This is my first time cooking scallops because I'm always afraid that they will be overcooked or under cooked. I found these frozen baby scallops at Ranch 99 store and they were actually giving out samples and promoting them (Costco style). I thought they were tender and quite tasty.

Since I have a variety of asian sauce in jars in my pantry, I decided to try and cook them with black bean sauce. Only vegetables I can cook them with I found in my fridge were the brussel sprouts and white beech mushrooms.


Ingredients:

1 bag of frozen baby scallops (or 10.6 oz)
1 lb frozen brussel sprouts (they are half cooked already)
1 pack White Beech mushrooms (or 1/4 lb small button mushrooms)
1 tbs chopped ginger
1 tbs chopped garlic
6 tbs sesame oil
3 tbs black bean sauce
4 tbs hoisin sauce
2 tbs chili sauce (optional)
1 tbs starch
1/4 cup water

Heat large frying pan and add sesame oil. Don't let oil burn, lower the heat to medium to avoid burning. Add ginger and garlic and stir until brown. Immediately add scallops, stir and cook for 3 minutes. Add black bean sauce, hoisin sauce and chili sauce and stir. Cook and cover for 2 minutes then add brussel sprouts and mushrooms. Cover again and let it steam for 5 minutes or until sprouts are tender. Mix the starch and water in a bowl and pour in the pan, stir and cook for another 2 minutes in medium heat. Serve with steamed rice or garlic soba noodles.

No comments: