Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chicken Muamba/Apritada


Chicken, chicken and chicken! We just can't have enough chicken to eat. There's so many chicken recipe and I always find myself cooking it adobo style, baked, broiled, tinola or jamaican jerk. Today, I defrosted about 10 pieces of chicken drum stick and I started searching for a simple recipe that I could experiment with. I found 2 that were interesting enough and I knew I had all the ingredients in my pantry. The first one was Chicken Asado/Apritada which is a Filipino dish and it reminded me that it was one of my favorite dish back home. The other one was Chicken Muamba which is an African dish (Angola/Congo) and it is very similar to the Filipino dish. The only difference is one vegetable ingredient. One has potatoes and one has okras. Well, I didn't have potatoes in my pantry but I had a bag of fresh okras and everything else. So, I decided to call it Muamba/Apritada! It is delicious and very satisfying. I almost ate 2 servings today!

Ingredients and Preparation
5 servings

10 pieces of chicken legs
1 14.5 ounces can dice tomatoes
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
4 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoon vinegar
1 medium onion chopped or slice very thin
6 cloves of galic chopped
3 dried bay leaves
1 lb fresh okra (ends removed)
6 tablespoon olive oil
salt and black pepper for seasoning

Heat the oven to 450 degrees

In a large frying pan, add olive oil and heat it up. Add the garlic and onion and sautee for about 3 minutes or until onion is limp






Add the chicken and mix with the onion thoroughly







Add the salt and pepper and season all over, cover and brown the chicken






When the chicken is brown and somewhat cook (about 10 minutes), transfer it in a baking pan






Add all the remaining ingredients - diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, soy sauce, vinegar and bay leaves






Add the okra and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour







Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy!

No comments: