Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mango Bread




Mangoes are in season again and I cannot be more excited! I grew up in the Philippines and mangoes are one of my favorite island fruits. I can eat them very green or very ripe. When they started importing Manila mangoes here in the US, I was ecstatic and when they are in season, I buy at least 1 box and enjoy them with my kids. They enjoy them as much as I do. We also enjoy mango ice cream, mango pie, mango juice....mango mango mango and anything M.A.N.G.O.


Last week, the produce market stand near my house were selling a box of 14 mangoes for $5.99. What a steal! I bought 2 boxes and I realized afterwards that my husband is out of town and my daughter just moved out on her own. Now I have a ton left and they are getting too ripe. So I decided to make a Mango Bread with a hint of Jamaican Rum and make use of them.


 Ingredients:
- 4 medium size ripe mango (remove pulp from seed and finely chopped or chunky) about 2 cups
2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp Jamaican Rum or Vanilla extract
- ½ cup regular butter, melted
- ¼ cup oil


Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 350ยบ
- Sift flour into a large bowl.  Add baking soda, sugar and cinnamon and stir the dry ingredients to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, add vanilla extract, melted butter and oil.  Combine the ingredients and add to dry ingredients. 
- Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon stir to combine the wet and dry ingredients.  Fold in the finely chopped mangoes. 
- Pour batter into a butter greased loaf pan and bake for 55 – 60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Or use 2 medium size loaf pan to make the slices smaller.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.  Remove bread from pan and cool. Dust with powder sugar before serving with a cup of tea or milk and enjoy!



No comments: