Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Broiled Mango and Bavarian Seasoning Chicken Thighs


My daughter said she is tired of eating chicken and that I should cook fish for dinner tonight. I told her that we will have to stop by the supermarket to get fish because I am pretty sure I don't have any in the freezer. She said she is tired and just want to go straight home, eat and sleep. She said if it's going to be chicken, then it will have to be Chinese style orange chicken breast. I knew for sure that I will not be able to cook that either because there are only thighs and drumsticks in the freezer. So I started searching for a recipe online used by fellow chefs and resulted in Broiled Mango and Bavarian Chicken Thighs.

The recipe was originally developed by my idol chef - Bobby Flay. I modified several important details from his recipe. I substituted mango juice instead of tangerine juice and broiled the chicken rather than grilling it as I don't own a grill - YET! I also used the Penzeys Bavarian Seasoning and Shallot Pepper seasoning that I recently bought to substitute the thyme and pepper in his recipe and I used honey instead of maple syrup. The outcome was unbelievably delicious! It was sweet and spicy.

Ingredients:

12 pieces of chicken thighs
vegetable oil spray
1 tablespoon salt
3 cups of mango nectar juice
2 teaspoons Shallot and Pepper seasoning
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
6 tablespoon Bavarian Seasoning (crushed brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, sage)

Set the oven on broil. Spray a deep baking pan with the vegetable oil spray. Mix the salt and Bavarian seasoning and rub all over the chicken. Arrange the chicken in the baking pan and broil for 30 minutes (15 minutes each side) or until the chicken is done. Make sure to check every 5 minutes to make sure its not burning the skin. Flip the chicken if broiler is on high heat. In the meantime, in a deep small pot, mix and boil the mango juice and the shallot pepper seasoning. Cook for about 15 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup. Add the honey, soy sauce and continue to boil for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour all over the chicken. Enjoy with your favorite side.

No comments: