Monday, January 26, 2015

Manila Clams & Basil Soup




If you love clams, you will love this soup. It is quite delicious and so easy to make. Make sure you get fresh clams from the Asian supermarket because I prefer those than the frozen or canned ones. Its usually served with rice or bread but I like it by itself (less carb).




I was craving for a good soup since the weather has been cold in the bay area. I did not want the usual rice porridge or chicken noodle soup! So I stopped by my favorite Asian supermarket - 99 Ranch and while I had my eyes on the Dungeness crabs and mussels to make my soup, I decided to buy the manila clams. They were as fresh as you can get them because they were still moving in the water!

Of course, I also bought a couple of the crabs since they are still in season and I devoured those the following day. You can say I love all kinds of shellfish and I don't mind eating them everyday. I just need to make sure I don't overdose myself LOL. Well, enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoy it each time I make it.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb fresh manila clams
1 thumb size ginger root thinly sliced
6 minced fresh garlic cloves
1 diced large tomato
1 bunch fresh basil leaves
3-4 chopped bok choy
2 cups of water
2 teaspoon oil
salt & pepper to taste

Use a large pot. On medium heat, saute ginger and garlic until medium brown. Add clams and stir thoroughly until the ginger and garlic covers the clams. Cover pot and steam for about 5 minutes until clams open. Add diced tomato and 2 cups of hot water and bring to boil and let all clams open more. Add the basil and bokchoy, salt and pepper to taste. Bring back to boil and turn off heat. Enjoy!

No comments: