Monday, March 29, 2010

Pesto Turkey Lasagna


My daughter and I were driving home from work and I asked her what I should cook for dinner. She said something creamy because she drank milk all day while doing the 'Got Milk' campaign. She did not want anything that has too much spice in it. I started thinking what I could possibly have in my pantry and my freezer  that I can cook to avoid stopping by the supermarket. We were a few exit away from our house when I suddenly thought of some items I already have and I told her I will make lasagna for dinner. Here is what I made. This is my own recipe that I just put together tonight using all the ingredients I currently have.


Ingredients:


Servings 8-10
1 box of 16 ounces lasagna
2 pounds ground turkey
4 cups of mixed grated cheese (mexican blend)
1 cup of pesto sauce (store bought)
6 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 large onion (diced)
6 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon shallot and pepper seasoning (substitute with lemon pepper seasoning if its not available)


Bechamel Sauce Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
5 tbsp flour
4 cups milk



Boil 4 quarts of water and cook lasagna noodles as instructed on the box. Turn on the oven and set for 350 degrees. Heat a medium frying pan and add olive oil. Add the garlic and onion and stir until brown. Add the turkey meat, pepper seasoning, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the stove and set aside.
In the meantime, in a deeper pot melt the butter and add the flour. Cook for about a minute, stirring constantly. Add the milk, whisking to avoid lumps. Cook for a few minutes, until it starts bubbling and thickens. Turn off heat and set aside.

Grease a baking dish with the pesto
arrange 1/4 of the pasta sheets to cover the bottom. Add a layer of pesto on top of the noodles

Add bechamel sauce on top of the layer
Add a layer (1/3) of meat (spread evenly)










 



then 1/4 of the grated cheese. Add one more layer of everything and finish with pasta covered with bechamel and cheese











 Bake for 35 minutes or until golden and bubbling

No comments: