Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sisig


I went to the Pistahan @ Yerba Buena Garden in San Francisco. A FANTASTIC FESTIVAL OF FILIPINO CULTURE AND CUISINE. It is  the largest celebration of Filipino art, dance, music and food in the Bay Area. It is annually held on 2nd weekend of August. While I walked around the festival, I noticed many attendees eating Sisig. After walking a few more minutes, I noticed a taco truck with a long line outside waiting to order. My eyes got big when I saw the sign - Senor Sisig! I've heard of this food truck on the radio and read about it on a few food newspaper article/blog in the bay area. I walked towards it and checked out the menu. They serve the Sisig with nachos, in a taco and with fries! I was very surprised that they don't serve it with RICE!!! I didn't bother ordering any. I like my Sisig with rice.

I then walked over to the other food booths and 2 more vendors serves the Sisig and with rice. But, I still didn't buy any because I didn't want to pay $6.00 for a small portion of meat and rice. So when I was on my way home, I stopped by the store and bought ingredients for Sisig and decided to make my own! This is actually the first time that I have prepared this dish and I'm very happy with my own creation.

Ingedients:

6 pieces of Lean Pork Chop (no skin / 1/2 inch thick)
6 tablespoon of butter
5 green chili peppers (finely chopped)
1 large white onion (finely chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
1/2 lemon
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
salt and pepper for seasoning the meat

Preparation:

Heat a large frying pan and add and melt 4 tablespoon of butter. Season the meat with salt and pepper on both side. Pan fry the meat 3 at a time, about 3 minutes each side or until the meat is no longer pink inside. After the meat is done, put on a plate and let it cool. While the meat is cooling, finely chop the onion and pepper. Then, finely chop the meat. Turn the stove back on and melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the garlic and brown it for 1 minute. Add the chopped meat, vinegar and soy sauce, stir on high heat and cook for about 3 minutes. Turn off stove and add the chopped onion and chili pepper. Mix well and add the juice of the 1/2 lemon. Serve with hot steaming rice!

No comments: