Thursday, October 27, 2011

Baked Macaroni and Cheese With Sage and Thyme


My good friend Robbie made plans to visit me tonight after work because I haven't seen him for a few months. The plan was to have dinner at a nearby restaurant in Fremont or maybe go to our favorite place in San Jose @ Santana Row. By mid-day, I decided that I will just make his favorite food to eat and enjoy more of our time at my own home and catch up without the distraction and noise of restaurants.

This mac and cheese recipe was adapted from Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Mac and Cheese cookbook and I added a few ingredients to make it my own. I doubled the ingredients so that the rest of the family in the house can enjoy it. This recipe yields for 6 servings.

Ingredients:

2 (8 ounces) package macaroni
8 tablespoons butter
8 tablespoons flour
3 cup milk
1 cup cream or buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 cups cheddar cheese

2 cups Jack or Gouda Cheese
10 pieces fresh Sage leaves
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used Smoked Chipotle Pepper)
1 cup breadcrumbs

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400°F

Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside

In a large sauce pan melt butter 








Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.







Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly, Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes, reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly)for 10 minutes.





Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.






Add the cayenne pepper, sage and thyme








Remove from heat and pour in the baking dish with macaroni and coat with the cheese sauce.






Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish.







Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.








Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.







Serve hot!!

No comments: