Monday, October 24, 2011

Chicken Rice Porridge (Arroz Caldo)


I woke up this morning craving for some rice porridge. I have been feeling a little under the weather and even my husband has a bad cold. Rice porridge or Lugaw or Arroz Caldo, as we call it in the Philippine culture somehow always makes me feel better. As soon as I got up from bed, I went straight in the kitchen and grabbed all the ingredients I needed. This recipe is intended for 2 servings only. You can double the ingredients if you want to cook more than 2 servings.

I had 2 bowls and I feel better already so I decided to blog the recipe! 

Ingredients:

3 chicken drumsticks or wings
3 fresh garlic cloves (minced)
1 1/2 inch of fresh ginger (chopped)
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked white rice
2 tablespoon fish sauce (or substitute with a pinch of salt)
2 green onions and chopped (for garnish)
6 cups of water
1/4 slice of Lemon or Calamansi juice for tasting

Preparation:

Sauté the garlic in oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer the garlic to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and set aside. Add the ginger and saute for about 2 minutes.  Add the chicken and brown for about 5 minutes. Add the rice, water and fish sauce (or salt), cover the pan, and simmer over medium to low heat. Stir frequently and simmer until the chicken and rice are cooked through, about 30 to 45 minutes.

Ladle the porridge into a soup bowl and garnish with the chopped green onions and fried garlic. Squeeze the lemon or calamansi juice for taste.

No comments: